Deluxe Vancouver Ltd.
Technology Operations Lead
|Industry:||Film & VFX|
|Category:||Systems & IT|
|Created:||Jan 14th 2013, 18:46 by DeluxeVancouver|
Position: Technology Operations Lead
Supervisor: Vice President Technology
Location: Vancouver, BC
The Technology Operations Lead has a solid track record leading a technical operations team in a complex 24/7 environment. Organized, technically sound and credible, the Technology Operations Lead is flexible, responsive, and a team-oriented manager who is hands-on, a good problem solver, and exhibits a proactive and transparent style.
Possessing a sense of urgency, the Technology Operations Lead, demonstrates an ability to work within a fast-paced and collaborative environment, is a good manager of resources and finances, and has excellent skills in building relationships, communicating effectively, and serving the needs of others. Most importantly, the Technology Operations Lead is responsive and has a propensity to get things done.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the VP Technology, the Technology Operations Lead works at a senior level to provide technical operations support required by our various business units. The principal responsibilities of the Technology Operations Lead are:
- Making sure our internal and external clients have the best technical experience; and
- Our products are our images and the metadata that goes with them. This position is focused on making sure we are producing the correct images & metadata in the most efficient manner to meet or exceed client requirements.
The Technology Operations Lead will ensure continual smooth operations of our technology systems in a rapidly changing production environment. This role oversees the work of the Production Operations Team to install, update, troubleshoot and repair new and existing workstation and the software applications they run. Working closely with the Production Systems Team that supports the infrastructure the work stations connect to, the production network, storage and render farms.
The Technology Operations Lead directs the daily and long-range activities of the Production Operations Team, with direct reports comprised of the CMS & Applications Administrator and the Senior Systems Administrator. He or She ensures all team members understand and follow appropriate methods, procedures and techniques to successfully complete assigned tasks within committed timeframes and standards.
- Ensures timely execution of technical user support for our various business units in a fast paced environment. Including user accounts, documentation, network and storage performance, hardware, software, software licensing, reference environments like the theater, DI & edit suites.
- Works closely with business unit heads and VP Technology to understand major upcoming projects and ensure technical operations support is in place to meet the needs. Consistently delivers high-quality services to internal & external clients.
- Works with the business units to develop image, audio, color and data workflows for each project. It is expected the Technology Operations Lead has the technical answers or knows the right questions to ask and can work with the team to define and implement solutions in a timely manner.
- Is responsible for the current data backup procedures and recommending improvements as industry standard evolve.
- With the VP of Technology does disaster planning for our data and our client’s data.
- Responsible for the overall technical support of applications, and frequently interacts with internal clients and vendors. Keeps up-to-date on the various versions of our production software and their technical requirements. Interacts with the vendors to make sure we are prepared for their next release and are aware of their future planning and its impact.
- Manages computer and network security with the other leads of the Technology Group. Continually evaluating current system for improvements.
- Ability to lead technical operations incident and problem management to develop solutions for complex multi-platform and multi-processing environments. Anticipate problems before they occur and when they do works with the Technical Operations and System teams to efficiently solve problems.
- Applies significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve service to our business divisions. Contributes to Vancouver’s continued effort to share and develop technology and production practices in collaborations with Deluxe, Method and Encore locations.
- Is proactive in evaluating system deficiencies and implementing effective solutions.
- Leads the operations of the Production Operations Team. Ensures all resources understand and follow appropriate methods, procedures and techniques to successfully complete assigned tasks within committed timeframes and standards.
- Creates and sustains an environment that fosters teamwork, excellence, cooperation, respect, and diversity.
- Collaborates with peers, colleagues and others in the facility to maximize performance and ensures the business needs of clients and staff are surpassed.
- Represents the department in a collegial, responsive, flexible, customer friendly and professional manner.
- In conjunction with the Human Resources Manager, coaches staff on their performance and career development.
- Administers vendor or sub-contractor agreements to ensure quality services and goods are provided to meet specifications, on-time and within budget.
- Manage vendor relationships for support and major upgrades.
- Provides input to the Vancouver business unit heads and the VP Technology to create annual capital budgets and forecast the Repair & Maintenance part of the operating budgets.
- Develops and implements procedures, methods, standards and controls to foster operational efficiency, monitor compliance and mitigate risks to achieve team results.
- Analyze technical operations capabilities, workflow, and scheduling limitations to determine if requested program or program change is possible within existing system.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
- Minimum of 8+ years experience in a production environment, Post Production, VFX, animation or gaming.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a technical team of 5 – 10 people.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a project management or technical operations experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Avid and Final Cut experience
- Experience in analyzing and understanding image structures, color spaces and the technical standards that define them.
- Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role with proven experience in team building, conflict resolution, and negotiation. Ability to coach and mentor staff.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, under pressure
- Undergraduate degree / diploma in a related technology discipline.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Understanding of digital image/video technologies such as compression, encoding (JPEG, H.264, QuickTime, DCP), content delivery and streaming.
- Good understanding of storage area networks (SAN) and network attached storage (NAS).
- Understand the requirements and procedures of managing render wranglers and I/O team members in a 24/7 operation.
- Familiarity with Linux, Windows and Mac OS in an enterprise environment.
- Must have excellent communication (written and verbal) and decision-making abilities.
- Flexible, responsive, analytical, self-driven, with a proven record of leading a team to complete projects on time and within budget
- Adept at anticipating emerging issues then implementing tactics to address them.
- Ability to interact with all operating levels of an organization; ability to liaise and build consensus between developers, power users, artists and corporate groups.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional ability to adapt efficiently and effectively to a demanding and changing work environment managing flexible hours, multiple tasks, competing priorities and deadlines.
Deluxe Vancouver Ltd. lives at the intersection of artistry and technology and is the industry’s leading provider of digital media & entertainment services. Please apply with a cover letter and resume by indicating why you are the best candidate for the job to Nancy Hogan at email@example.com.