Jagex Games Studio
Lead World Builder (Transformers Universe)
|Created:||May 11th 2012, 04:19 by JobsAtJagex|
Jagex Ltd, the UK’s largest developer and publisher of online games, is looking for an exceptional individual to take a leading role in shaping the World design of our in-development and highly anticipated MMO; TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE.
As Lead World Builder, you will be tasked with defining the structure that all game maps and levels fit within, ensuring that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and that the lore of Transformers Universe grows in a synergistic way over time. You will have previous experience in leading level design or environment design, and have managed a team in one or all of these disciplines.
Candidates should have a strong understanding of environmental design as it applies to game play and should be able to successfully oversee the execution of those ideas in engine, unifying the three major disciplines that together define our game maps; level design, environment creation and narrative development.
KEY DUTIES INCLUDE
- Develop missions and levels according to the global vision of the game, the characters’ types and the games’ objectives
- Oversee the composition, sculpting and texturing of terrain to the specifications and high standards required, ensuring consistency of quality and style from all team members
- Communicate and work with designers and artists to create convincing and thematic environments that feel dramatic and compelling
- Closely follow art and design concepts, and collaborate across teams to create and refine gameplay mechanics and design
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of pipelines and art integration into the game
- Contribute to the creative process through provision of original ideas, management and inspiration
- Critique your work and the work of other artists and designers.
- Calibrate workloads and commit to deadlines and project milestones
- Collaborate with Design team to define and refine game-play mechanics
- Proficiency with 3D modelling tools and experience with terrain sculpting tools
- Ability to prioritise well and meet deadlines
- Excellent understanding of environmental design and composition skills
- Ability to produce and articulate design documentation detailing game-play mechanics, mission walkthroughs, storylines, character biographies and asset inventories
- Intimate knowledge of processes of triggering and placing entities (such as enemies, spawners, and objects) to create fun, absorbing gameplay
- Skilled in roughing out world geometry, camera paths, and lighting using 3D world-building tools
- Excellent understanding of lighting, mood, and colour
- Coordinating and mentoring the creative efforts of other project level designers.
- Previous experience as a Lead Level Designer / World Builder /Lead Environment Artist
- Knowledge of Maya and Photoshop
- MMO development experience