Hey, great stuff you got here! I especially like the mech you modelled - the render with the sunlight shining behind it was really cool. Have you thought doing like a paintover of it? Since I notice you paint over 3D models sometimes, it would look pretty sweet.
(don't read this if you have NO interest in games production)
With all the coursework and exams finished students at the University of Bolton decided that they would undertake the challenge of making a game in one week.
The idea for game came from two third year game art students and one third year game design student.
The idea was to involve as many of the game students at the University of Bolton as possible, this included game artists, game designers and game programmers as well involving students from first, second and third years.
This week challenge was designed so that not only could the students have a game to show after the week was finished but also to gain some insight into how a gaming company operates and how the separate disciplines combine and work together.
This challenge took place within the University of Bolton but was very much a student run event. The students were left to do their own thing and the many tutors at the university only popped in every now and again to see the progress and give their thoughts.
The game concept was created though meetings that took place before the work week began and everyone involved had input towards the final game, either through the overall game idea and concept, mechanics, in game assets, textures, promotional art, website, GUI, trailers etc.
The final idea for the game was a racing game created within UDK. This was done so that we did not have to create an FPS and to keep the game accessible as possible. UDK also offered huge benefits for such a short production cycle (although the programmers were not too happy )
The game itself I would say is a cross between Wipeout and Motorstorm. The general idea is hover vehicles racing around an urban environment with the environment changing themes throughout the track. The style of the game was voted on and it was decided that a hand painted look would be the most efficient for the team to produce in a week and also stay relatively consistent within the team.
My role within the event changed as the days went on and I found myself working on various areas of interest. So a big thank you to everyone who made that possible! J I began by doing some quick concepts for the environment and some of the buildings that would surround the track.
Along with the concepts the team was tasked to create a logo for the development team itself, luckily one of my logo designs was chosen by the team. I showed six variants and the team voted for the top left, not my personal pick but almost everyone else voted for the same design.
The first day I started off working on the font that would be used in the menus and HUD. I did this by finding several free fonts that could be used by the team and combining, altering them to form a new font that suited our game. This took longer than I thought it would to create all the characters we would need but I think it was worth it in the end.
With the success of the ‘Bolton Dev Studio’ logo I was tasked to create the logo of the game itself which was ‘Accel Chroma’.
I literally had no brief or general direction for the logo and was just told to do whatever I wanted which proved to be somewhat troublesome. But with that I decided I would try to create an image which resembles something like a racing car of today but set in our world. With this in mind I thought of an extreme close up of one of our vehicles with ‘accel chroma’ perhaps being a sponsorship on the side of vehicles panels.
I had no idea if people would like the idea but I ran with it anyway haha. I had to create everything in the image myself. I would have liked to base the vehicle on a side shot of one of the vehicles in the game but the 3D models were not yet completed at this time. The font used was using the characters I had created for the in game font previously. The rainbow effect on the text was not my decision but still made it into the final logo design
After the logo I joined the grind and started producing 3D models and textures. The models created were all pretty low poly and the textures were created from taking other members texture work from other models and adding my own elements for my models. This included elements such as windows and signs. This was done to save time and to try and keep the style consistent.
And that I believe is all the different types of work I managed to squeeze in to the week. I really enjoyed the week personally; I think I managed to stay away from most of the stressful stuff unlike some of the members trying to manage the event haha. What I found really great was the experience of it all, just looking around the room to see everyone working on their own thing but knowing it’s all connected and all adding to a much larger objective.
Was really great to see and a good insight into how it works in the industry. It was also good to see first, second and third years collaborating on something not in university time or for a uni project. I don’t think the final game was the best thing to come out of the week, I think the experience of doing it was and I think every other member that took part would say the same thing.
BELOW ARE SOME OF THE IMAGES I MADE FOR THE EVENT AND SOME VIDS FOR IT.